Holy Donkey Kong! SurveyMonkey Acquires Wufoo!

By Wufoo · April 25th, 2011

Monkey hugging dinosaur. Illustration by Nick Sirotich

We are delighted to announce that we have signed a definitive agreement to be acquired by SurveyMonkey, the world’s leading provider of web-based survey solutions. Wufoo’s form builder will join their family of products and Infinity Box will become a wholly owned subsidiary of SurveyMonkey. To help answer some of your most immediate questions, we’ve created this SurveyMonkey+Wufoo FAQ, which pays a little homage to one of our favorite video games from back in the day.

No Major Changes. Business as Usual.

The bottom line is that the service you know and love isn’t going anywhere. This new team at SurveyMonkey (and really more than any other company or investor we’ve ever talked to over the years) seems to truly understand and deeply appreciate both the dedication that we have for our mission and the unique approach that we have to our craft. You can actually expect it to be business as usual after today. You and your users can continue to rely on our services while expecting your forms, reports and data to remain safe and sound.

Just to be clear—SurveyMonkey is not interested in dismantling what we’ve built. Quite the contrary, actually. They want to nurture it and spread it as far and wide as possible. Our obsession with excellence and the personality of its delivery to you guys, our dearest friends, are traits that SurveyMonkey has shown to treasure and will therefore remain intact and constant. Yes, things will be different here from our perspective, but from yours, things will remain remarkably the same.

What We’ll Be Doing Together.

Currently, Wufoo’s popularity and focus has been concentrated in English speaking countries. With the help of SurveyMonkey’s resources and existing infrastructure in international markets, the Wufoo team is going to be able to leverage their help to spread Wufoo all over the globe—a vision we’ve been excited about for a long time. That means getting Wufoo’s service translated and working in multiple languages, extending our high caliber support to cover those new markets and offering billing and payment options in the currencies our international fans prefer to use.

Since we’re going to double-down on expanding into new markets, we’re also excited about taking advantage of SurveyMonkey’s knowledge in scaling infrastructure so that we can meet the growing demand for Wufoo’s services. They’ve got an amazing track record of running large data collection systems for some of the most demanding clients for over 10 years. That means thanks to their help and expertise we’ll be able to increase the performance and reliability of every single Wufoo form out there. It also means that our team will be given the freedom and focus to do what we do best, crafting sweet new features.

SurveyMonkey

We’re all in!

And the reason we’ll be able to continue offering the excellence that you’ve come to expect with Wufoo is because everyone on the Wufoo Team is coming along for the ride. Each one of us here at Wufoo really loves what we do. We love our users. We love making software. And we really love the challenge of delighting one with the other. The great surprise for us was finding out that SurveyMonkey loves the same things too.

In fact, over the last two years, SurveyMonkey’s team has been undergoing a radical transformation—growing and building this amazing energy and momentum to do some very powerful things. Over the last few months, we’ve gotten to witness this energy and the vision that fuels it first-hand and it’s really something to behold. In fact, it was such a compelling and rare thing to see, that every member of the Wufoo clan agreed to pick up and move out west to California to be a part of it.

The Wufoo Team

That’s a big change for us and obviously a decision each one of us didn’t take lightly. It’s an action that we hope you will see as a testament to our belief in this new venture. In the end, our entire team is in this together, dedicated and determined alongside our new friends at SurveyMonkey to continue doing what we love so deeply.

Thank You and Stay Tuned!

We are filled with so much gratitude for every person that’s contributed to our story so far. Our employees, our friends, our family, our investors and most importantly, the greatest users here on planet Earth, our very own. Thank you for watching us grow. Thank you for trusting us with your enthusiasm. And thank you for making what we do feel so fulfilling. Because of your support, our future is more exciting than ever and we can’t wait to show you what we have up our sleeves over the next few months. It’ll be something to watch carefully, for sure, because it’s going to be magic.

Chris Campbell, Kevin Hale and Ryan Campbell
The Founders of Wufoo

This entry was posted 6 years ago and was filed under News & Updates. Comments are currently closed.

Comments

1. Congratulations from the UK. Don’t go changing!

Posted 6 years ago by chairboymike.
  2. Congrats guys. Ironically I set up Wufoo to use as out “survey-provider” a month ago, instead of SurveyMonkey.You guys have been so customer-focused and on par with Mailchimp with the feaure advances and communication…I just hope that doesn’t change - unless it’s for the better. Regardless, you guys DESERVE to be recognized and appreciated in this way. Congrats again.

Posted 6 years ago by Bryan Chalker.
  3. You seem happy so congrats, but I’m very worried. My company was a recent wufoo convert. Every time in my experience when a smaller company with a better product is acquired by a larger company with crap customer service and higher prices, the product ALWAYS suffers. I’ll guess we better bone up on the Campaign Monitor API and building our own forms & reports again. ugh….

Posted 6 years ago by Marc Coleman.
  4. Congratulations and I hope that SM and youselves keep to what you say. M&A’s can be a minefields with culture fits not being perfect and products/services decimated. Been there and have the T-shirt. That being said, you have a great product and service and I certainly would like to see what more you can do as I can see lots of opportunity. Leverage SM to help you get where you want to go, and don’t leave us fans behind. All the best.

Posted 6 years ago by Karl Howe.
  5. Congratulations! You guys really helped me out big time in a tough moment in my life and work as an entrepreneur. I am grateful for your vision and efforts. Thank you Wufoo team and congratulations!

Greg Wientjes

Posted 6 years ago by Greg Wientjes.
  6. Good luck, and as many others have said above I hope Wufoo continues it’s great customer service. Thanks

Posted 6 years ago by Gerry Stephenson.
  7. I really hope that customer service is not negatively affected. It’s one of the primary reasons that I selected Wufoo, and at this point, we really depend on your services. (The other primary reasons: Easy to use and affordable for our non-profit.)

Posted 6 years ago by Rebecca Thorp.
  8. Congrats guys. Stay focused on what wufoo does best. Forms , great service and touch of fun.

Posted 6 years ago by Juzz franks.
  9. Congratulations to the Wufoo team. It’s an outstanding product and you deserve success.

Like other commenters I just hope you’re able to maintain your great level of customer support and that Surveymonkey adopts some Wufoo features rather than the other way round…

Also, watch out for earthquakes!

Posted 6 years ago by Dan.
  10. Parabéns, é triste mas pelo menos não acabou

Posted 6 years ago by Bristol.
  11. Congratulations to all of you! And this works out perfect for me, I now have a place to crash when I come to San Francisco and snowboarding in Lake Tahoe.

Posted 6 years ago by Bulletproof Bryan.
  12. Congratulations - I have total belief in your philosophy! Follow your dream path and stay true to yourselves. Wishing you good luck and happiness through the change

Posted 6 years ago by Jan.
  13. The first reaction to this message was “Oh NO!”. I must tell I HATE SurveyMonkey… i don’t capitalize words very often. I love Wufoo from the bottom of my heart along with my other favorite online service like Mailchimp, Highrise, and LiveChat. Your business practice has been amazed me.

Let’s hope this transition will bring us something good in the future. and.. yes. congrat!

Posted 6 years ago by Tak.
  14. Hi Guys at Wufoo…Reallly enjoy the product. I looked carefully at all of the options out there before recommending Wufoo and I am a little concerned that SurveyMonkey will change the way you do business. I completely love the sense of humor and ‘personality’ of the product…I am a believer. I hope that SurveyMonkey sees the humor as one of the big draws…Incidentally, every piece of code I have used from Wufoo works exactly as indicated, without any changes… I have never experienced this before from any company. I do hope SM learns from you. Keep doing a great job. I love the product and hope you will benefit as much as SurveyMonkey will.

Posted 6 years ago by Steve Weltman.
  15. Congratulations guys! I wish you the best in this new stage of your business. Keep creating great software, I love Wufoo!

Posted 6 years ago by Pavel Pichardo.
  16. This sucks… you guys sold out! I thought one day you could be bigger than surveymonkey and do a better job than they are doing right now.

Anyways… Congrats. To better things!!

Posted 6 years ago by Pj.
  17. I don’t know of I should be glad for you or for me…anyway, continue your good work and don’t forget your good friends in Québec ! Also a member of this powerfull team of Nordiques Nation - For the love of Hockey !.

Posted 6 years ago by Stéphane.
  18. Congratulations! Wufoo is the best! The SurveyMonkey team got real lucky

Posted 6 years ago by Jenny.
  19. Everyone needs a hug. And you deserve some too. As a long time happy customer I wish you all the best and may I never witness the downturn of the original Wufoo service. Beside the ease of creating and maintaining forms it was and hopefully will remain the little things on top like the handwritten sticker mailout that made me suggest this service to everybody and his mom.

Just keep real. ;)

Posted 6 years ago by Robert Handrow.
  20. Happening quite a bit in tech as market picks up. Gist and tingle.me bought by RIM/Blackberry in the last 60 days alone. Been through what you will be going thru, & NO, it will not be business as usual. I share the sentiments that many others have expressed - happy for you but said as well. Current Surveymonkey customer but am feeling like u should drop them because I am mad they bought you.

I hope you all got the rewards you worked so hard for. 5 years from now you will all meet in a bar somewhere and reminisce about the “good ‘ok days at Wufoo!

Posted 6 years ago by Miles Austin.
  21. Congratulations! Wufoo is my favorite. I recommend you to all my clients. I mean, Any Company that can work in a Willy Wonka reference “Sweet Vermicious Knid!” while I’m slaving away at details, is OK by me!

I wish you all continued success.

Posted 6 years ago by Kathleen.
  22. Congratulations to everyone at Wufoo, and wishing you years upon years upon years of continued success! You deserve it; you’ve helped so many people out and given them the perfect solution for their needs. No wonder you have so many passionate fans. :) (We’re keeping our fingers crossed that you won’t go changing on everyone too much though…)

Posted 6 years ago by Erin in Colorado.
  23. You all build an awesome business and deserve it!

Posted 6 years ago by Derek, Wave Tribe.
  24. This is a wonderful post. The things given are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.

johncina Bolton Builders

Posted 6 years ago by johncina.
  25. I’ve been using Wufoo for over 3 years now and have always loved your service, & like the other sentiments here, I hope what makes Wufoo so special (Your people! Your personality! Your product! Your service!) doesn’t change (I say this full-knowing you’ll continue to improve, of course).

As a small business owner myself, I can only shout out a “Congratulations!”

I hope SurveyMonkey paid you guys a ridiculous amount of money, because, quite frankly, your presence there can only improve them. Although SurveyMonkey, in my opinion, is not worthy of Wufoo’s love n’ affection, they are smart enough to know what’s good for them. Hoping they stay outta your way & let you continue to work your magic for years to come. Cheers!

Posted 6 years ago by Heidi.
  26. Congratulations!

Posted 5 years ago by Robert.