Two months ago we [rallied up beta testers](/2007/05/10/call-for-formaholics/ “Beta Builder”) for our new form builder, and thanks to all of our testers we are proud to see it go live today. All around the builder should feel more solid and responsive. Approximately 90% of the code has been rewritten from scratch. While all show stopping bugs should be gone, please let us know if something looks amiss. A list of all improvements are below, and we encourage suggestions for the future.
– Fields use the same markup as live forms, and render special text
(such as HTML) accurately.
– Field Instructions now show in the builder.
– Color coordination and functional consistency have been added to
the form and field properties.
– Improved Tooltips and smarter / dynamic help messages.
###Drag & Drop Improvements
– **Drag to add.** You can now add a field anywhere to your form by
dragging and dropping it into the preview.
– **Drag and scroll.** As you drag, the page will scroll with you if you
have a longer form. This works for both adding and reordering.
– The page load time for editing forms with a large number of fields (over 20) has been cut down dramatically.
– The browser no longer chugs when working with 25+ choices for checkbox multiple
– Drag and drop and field editing speed has been improved.
– Warning prompt if you try to leave the builder without saving.
– Drop down fields can now be made required.
– Bulk add for drop down choices.
– Predefined values now show up as you edit in the form preview
– Smarter default naming (so adding a phone or address field automatically starts the label as Phone or Address in the Field’s title)
– Additional languages and a quick preview link to your [Translate pages](/translate/).
– Field title now allows for more text.
– Delete key no longer deletes choices.
###Foundation for Improvement
While the powerhouse features aren’t in yet (mind you, the new rendering and performance improvements were no quick fix), the backend is now ready for them. Here are some of the ideas in the works.
– Min/Max ranges for numbers, characters, and words.
– Automated Start/End dates for publishing active forms.
– Encryption on certain fields.
– Hidden fields on public forms.
– Multiple label alignments
– **New fields:** likert, rich text, page break, and a few more surprises.