New Feature Announcement! Introducing Max Quantities!

By Johan Lieu · October 9th, 2015

Today we’re excited (can you tell - check out all the !!) to announce the official release of our latest feature, Max Quantities! This feature involved a lot of in depth work from the entire Wufoo team and touched nearly every nook and cranny of Wufoo itself. We’re super proud of the work and we’d love to share what Max Quantities can do for you.

Max Quantities is a new powerful feature that allows form owners the ability to limit the number of times a specific field choice can be selected. Where previously you could limit the number of times someone could fill out your form as a whole, now with Max Quantities form owners can limit and restrict the number of times your form users can select individual field choices. This is perfect if you have a max number of a certain item and want to make sure you don’t run out and have to inform disappointed customers you’re out of stock.

max-quantity-form-in-action

Max Quantities can be used for any number of circumstances and use cases where you have a certain limited number of items and want to make sure you don’t commit to more than you have on hand. Let’s say for example you’ve got your mitts on a limited run of t-shirts and want to offer them to your fans in a first-come, first-serve fashion. But you only have 10 smalls, 15 mediums, and 10 larges. And you want to make sure that if you’re out of a particular size, subsequent fans are unable to select the size that’s out of stock. Lucky for you, Wufoo and Max Quantities is here to save the day.

Within the Wufoo Form Builder for certain field types (Checkboxes, Multiple Choice, and Dropdown), you’ll find a new option named, coincidentally, Max Quantities. Choose this option and you’ll see a new option appear for all of your individual field choices. This field is where you’re specify how many times your form users can select that option before it is no longer selectable on your form. Put in a number for the max number of entries you’d like to receive for a specific field choice and then click Save.

out-of-quantity

And magically, when say your surprisingly tiny fan base has taken all of your small t-shirts, your Wufoo form will display the small t-shirt size as disabled and your future form users will no longer be able to select the option as part of their form submission.

Voila, Max Quantities! The possibilities for Max Quantities are endless; limited ticket sales, limited reservation time slots, any situation where you’ve got a limited inventory of items, time, seats, or passes, etc, and want to make sure you don’t overbook or oversell, Max Quantities is right there for you.

We’d love to hear how you’d use or are using Max Quantities. And of course, leave us your comments or feedback below.

This entry was posted 2 years ago and was filed under News and Updates. Comments are currently closed.

Comments

1. This is great. I will be using this on a registration form I am working on right now where we have a limited number of spaces for a special event at the conference. Thanks!

Posted 2 years ago by Leslie.
  2. Any chance for “Quantity” field in Wuffoo?

Posted 2 years ago by Greg.
  3. This makes how we use Wufoo so much better! We’ve been using the forms to register people for volunteer teams at the church. The events that we need volunteers at usually require 4-10 teams, which meant creating 4-10 different forms to limit signups for each team. Thank you for adding this feature!

Posted 2 years ago by David Welch.
  4. I agree with Greg. A “Quantity” field would be an absolute game changer for several of my forms.

Posted 2 years ago by Jamie.
  5. This is wonderful! Thank you so much! My assumption is that the programming knows what the remaining quantity is based on the submissions/entries. Does that mean that when we have someone who registered twice for whatever reason, and we delete their duplicate entry, that the ‘remaining’ max quantity value will be updated as well?

Posted 2 years ago by Karen.
  6. YESSSSSS!!! I have been waiting for this option which now solves a huge problem for me. THANK YOU so much for adding this feature!

Posted 2 years ago by Vicki.
  7. Can this be used to limit seats on a daily basis? (ie. max 4 seats available every day) or would I need to make a new form every week?

Posted 2 years ago by Milt Michael.
  8. Excellent! I’ve been needing this for a complicated form I use to sign up volunteers for different jobs. Now I can limit the number of slots open for each job and steer them toward the jobs still open. Can’t wait to use this feature!

Posted 2 years ago by Jennifer.
  9. Thank you SO much for adding this feature! This will be perfect for some of our registration forms.

Posted 2 years ago by Angela.
  10. AWESOME!!!

Posted 2 years ago by Julie.
  11. I like the idea but it wont work on the majority of my forms where I use the choices to offer group bookings, is there a better way to offer group bookings options. To data to capture information on booking for one two three or four people I use Multi choice and then hide show the form options for the extra names depending on the answer and price based on the How many people are you booking for answer.

Posted 2 years ago by Ric McDonald.
  12. Thank you Wufoo folks!! I needed this function for a webinar registration form with multiple dates which hosts maximum 25 seats. Now no manual work needed. you are awesome!!

Posted 2 years ago by Shahrooz.
  13. This is great for setting max seats on parallel workshops in a conference. It would be best if we could set the message text ( The word ‘remaining’) in the form itself, so I can insert a word my language, or make it dependent on de content (0 seats available, 5 T-shirts left). Alternatively, the word Remaining should be translated and used in the language that you have set in the Form Settings tab.

For the Dutch language the word would be ‘beschikbaar’

Posted 2 years ago by Koos.
  14. It would also be nice if you could work with availability but could hide it completely for your users. So when the maximum for an option is reached, that option would not be displayed anymore. I guess that now users may flock to 1 particular workshop if they see that everybody else is going there too, because of low availability.

Posted 2 years ago by Koos.
  15. Great!!! When is this function using date-data, to limit quantities per date? Thank you!!!

Posted 2 years ago by Marco Padoan.
  16. It’s a great feature. It would be nice that can be limited by date as well. For example, I am using it for event registration. Different pricing will be expired on different dates. When the date is expired, that related price will be hidden from public. Thanks.

Posted 2 years ago by Jason.
  17. I second Jason’s request from above! I also have a pricing change for an early-bird registration rate, but my current work around is to shut the form down for an hour while I switch the price.

Otherwise, this is a great feature we’ll be using. I tried plugging it into a form that is already active and in use, but the # remaining doesn’t update based on entries already submitted. It looks like I will have to go in and manually subtract the # already registered from the max # for each category. A bit of a pain, but can do it! Also: I like the idea of keeping the maximum hidden so a popular option doesn’t get flooded just because it’s popular.

Posted 2 years ago by Emily.
  18. This feature is awesome! We have been needing this for recruitment of our training camps. We are getting more applications that we have spots.

One suggestion is to have the option in Form Rules that if a field goes over quantity, to display a field value to order/reserve/etc. a ‘back order’. This will help us track demand too and future opportunities. Thanks for the new feature!

Posted 2 years ago by Jen.
  19. Best feature EVER! This makes our event sign ups with childcare so much easier to manage since we have to limit the number of children we can take in!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Posted 2 years ago by Coby Smith.
  20. This would be great if we could get pricing to work with a number field. As it is now, we use multiple choice and the entries are: 1 - $12, 2 - $24… etc. If we could have a number field and set up the payment page at $12 x , that would solve many problems and enable us to use this new feature more often.

Posted 2 years ago by Paula.
  21. It would be the great cost ever that sounds good to celebrate the Halloween day

Posted 2 years ago by admit card.
  22. This is awesome. What would make this even better is an option for Quantities, lets say, using your example above, I want to order 2 small and 1 medium shirts, I’d have to make multiple entries. This might mean more work, but it’s totally worth it!

Posted 2 years ago by Bro. Brandon.
  23. This is great. Two suggestions:

1. Make it hide-able to the customer.
    2. Create a reset button so if I test it or delete an entry, I can reset to my maximum quantity again.
    Posted 2 years ago by David B.
  24. Thank you, thank you, thank you. We conduct classes with multiple date choices. Now we can limit one class while still accepting registrations for other classes.

Posted 2 years ago by Gary.
  25. THANK YOU! We have been wishing and hoping for this feature!! This is going to make life so much easier for us. - Happy Dance

Posted 2 years ago by JP.
  26. We sell tickets. We have a fixed number of seats available, people pay either an adult fare or a child fare, but ultimately the same number of seats are available regardless of which type of ticket they purchase. And people almost always buy more than a single seat in any individual purchase. I would love to be able to have a way to set max quantities on THAT. The current max quantities can’t help with that at all.

Posted 2 years ago by Becky.
  27. This is great. Truly is. BUT…

I need this at the field level, not at the choice drill-down level. For instance, my forms utilize options (drop-down) such as 1 ticket, 2 tickets, 3 tickets, etc.

I don’t want to set things at the option level, but just: Sell 100 tickets total.

Posted 2 years ago by hmcb.
  28. Finally! Thank you so much! I will use it on my registration forms.

Posted 2 years ago by natasha.
  29. This is definitely a neat addition.

The one conundrum I have already encountered is that this functionality assumes the quantity to decrement is 1. hmcb mentioned above the best example of why this doesn’t really reflect a lot of real quantity situations with tickets. The decrementing is could be greater than 1 if someone wanted more than 1 of something.

The other issue I have seen already is that if someone’s payment is declined, the decrement still happens therefore creating a false count of the inventory.

Posted 2 years ago by Shan Pesaru.
  30. Everyone needs a hug.

Posted 2 years ago by RAMANATHAN.
  31. Thank you!! This will improve functionality of our forms tremendously.

But I agree with many of the comments above:

1) Please allow the ‘number remaining’ message to be hidden from users. This is crucial when using the form to register participants.

2) The option of ‘quantities’ would be great. Your example is a prime example of this need — many people would want to order multiple t-shirts.

Posted 2 years ago by Joanne.
  32. Can you make this function apply to a single line text field as well? Say you only want so many more entries in that field to be completed (regardless of the content being a number or just text), then it decreases by one or two if their could be multi options set by the admin for each field? This would help me out enormously.

Posted 2 years ago by Sam.
  33. We’re excited that you all love this new feature add on and already have suggestions on how to make them better (hiding quantity messaging, allowing for deduction of multiple quantities, resupplying the quantity if payment is declined/failed). We’re looking to see what we should/can do next to make Max Quantities even better, so your feedback is super useful and helpful!

Posted 2 years ago by Johan Lieu.
  34. Definitely needs a reset option for testing or times when you want to make adjustments to quantity (example- if someone cancels their order.)

Would like the ability to hide remaining quantity.

Option to hide choice when maximum is reached.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago by Amos.
  35. This is fantastic.

We have already used it and loved it, but we would really really really love - a (total) number of max quantities eg. if people are claiming offers and we only want to give out100 offers in total but different types of offers within that 100 (30 of offer A, 40 of offer B, 20 of offer C and 10 of offer D) so we can track the running total

• the option for quantities for people being able to select multiples of one option

Cheers Bonnie

Posted 1 year ago by Bonnie Davies.
  36. Everyone needs a hug.

Posted 1 year ago by me m.
  37. Posted 1 year ago by me m.
  38. How do I make comment function like this, with wufoo?

Posted 1 year ago by Oscar.
  39. My form is in french.

• The word “remaining” do not translate in french. Is it normal ?
    • Is there a way to change the word “remaining” ?
    Posted 1 year ago by Louis-Philippe.
  40. @LouisPhilippe Send us an email over at support@wufoo.com with a link to your form, we’ll be happy to take a closer look!

Posted 1 year ago by Cody Curry.