<input type=text spellcheck="true">
<input type=text spellcheck="false">
Supported Browser Screenshots
The Low Down
spellcheck attribute tells a browser whether or not to check the spelling/grammar of the text
in an editable element. This won't affect validation.
- Typical handling is underlining problem words/phrases with red and offering contextual menu help.
- In Chrome 10+ (tested 13 and 17), a red underline only shows up when and incorrectly spelled word is typed for the first time and only when input is in focus.
- Just "spellcheck" isn't enough as an attribute (it's invalid). You have to set true or false.
- Inconsistent results in Safari 4 and 5 - sometimes it would check-as-typed with spellcheck=false and sometimes not with exact same form HTML.
- Opera 10.53 doesn't spellcheck inputs regardless of setting and does check textareas regardless of setting.
- Opera 11 reports it doesn't accept the attribute but honors it on both inputs and textareas.
- History, discussion, and older browser support here.
- IE 9 accepted the attribute but didn't do anything with it.
- Android doesn't have spellcheck so it's Not Applicable.